How to manage the number of Day Tours available for booking on any given day:
The number of Day Tours that are "bookable" on any given day varies, depending on the number of guides, vehicles, and the size of the trips.
The tool we use to manage this in Arctic is something called a "Day Tour Slot." Think of it as an actual physical thing - in order to book a new tour, it will need a "Slot" to occupy, and there are only so many slots on any given day. When the slots on a given day are all filled, Arctic will not allow you to complete a reservation for a New Tour. This does not affect adding reservations or guests to tours that are already booked.
The "inventory" of available slots is managed in the same part of Arctic that manages the bike inventory - and it is viewable in the same Rentals Allocations chart. This happens through the use of a single "Rental Item" called DT Slots. The default setting allocates 10 DT Slots per day.
Each empty day tour trip in Arctic (i.e. zero guests) has a hidden requirement -- as soon as it has one or more guests, it then requires a Day Tour Slot to be "pulled" from the inventory. You can see this happening at the bottom of the Bike Allocations chart.
Every time a new tour books for a given date, the inventory of available slots will decrease by 1.
Any time that we want, for whatever reason, we can shrink the number of slots on a given day. If we decrease the DT Slot inventory for May 1 from 10 to 5, then the greatest number of new tours that can be booked on May 1 will be 5.
The requirement for a DT Slot is not sensitive to the number of guests on a trip -- i.e. tours with 7 or more guests do not automatically require 2 slots even though most will likely have 2 guides assigned. The requirement only works at the simplest level -- each new trip = 1 DT Slot.
This simplicity is on purpose -- to give us greater flexibility. For example, if we have a large school group that is going to need 4 guides and we only have one more guide on that day, after that school group tour takes the 1 DT Slot it requires, we can manually lower the inventory on that day from 10 to 2 -- which means that any new tour that books will take the last slot available.
On any day where the available DT Slots have all been used up, no one will be able to book a new tour (either on our website, on Viator, or on the backend.) This is true, even if we have not yet posted the black No New tags on the Arctic Calendar (or Google or the Wall board.)
The way to manually decrease the number of DT Slots is via Browse Rentals Items.
- You'll find the DT Slots rental item at the very bottom of the list, below Outside Rental. Because our list is so long, you'll have to use the Next buttonin the very bottom, right-hand corner in order to flip to the next page.
- Click the wrench icon and then the Change Quantity selection in the drop down that appears.
- The resulting dialog will show an orange box in the center between two blue boxes.
- Set the Effective date to the day you want to change.
- Hover over the orange and click, then select Decrease Quantity By and click again.
- Now that you've set the action to Decrease Quantity By, enter the correct number (e.g. if the previous quantity is at 10 and you want to change it to 5, enter 5.)
- Below that, Select Change is Temporary and enter the Until date as the next day (e.g. if your target date is May 1, enter May 2.)
- Click Submit.
You can check that your change went into effect via the Rental Allocations chart.
You will also want to add the appropriate tag to the Arctic day tour calendar, Google Calendar and Wall schedule.